08 February 2007

Welcome. We're beasts for feasts!

It's often been said that I should have been a food critic. When Hunter (the carnivorous boyfriend who you'll meet in a moment) suggested that a blog be started to that effect, I thought - perfect! Now I can share my imbibing impluses and delicious delights with the whole world over.

What we're about:
We moved to the Silverlake neighborhood of Los Angeles in September 2006. Prior to that, we ate the crap out of Chicago and Milwaukee, with a brief interlude across Europe. The 2 things that stay the same no matter where we are: We are poor. And we LOVE to eat. We are pretty health conscious, too. But our prime directive is to find cheap, healthy food that tastes like exactly the opposite.

So, who am I?
I've been a vegetarian for 8 years and began eating fish about a year ago (a sensitive subject, and I'm very choosy about the fish I eat). Reason being that I am just too emotionally connected to animals. Its more of a spiritual thing than anything, but I also stand behind just about every reason people choose not to eat meat. But know this: I'm not militant. Its not for everyone. I've been known to catch a whiff of a steak and say "damn, that smells good!" and even cook meat on occasion for my fleshloving friends.

I was brought up to appreciate the finer things in life. My dad is known as "Champagne Mike" for his exquisite taste, and my parents started introducing us to fine international cuisine at very early ages. Moderation does not run in my family. My dad has been known to butter his waffles and add cream to his cereal. The clan likes it rich, creamy, and also dipped in butter, please. However, my waistline doesn't approve of such gluttony, so I try with all my might to keeps it lean.

Living with and loving a meat-eater is pretty easy, considering that at home, we almost always do it veggie-style. Hunter is very open to all kinds of meat substitutions and organic-hippie food, so it works out just fine. But sometimes, he just needs that burger. And I'm happy to let him have it.

And, who is Hunter?
Hi, my name is Hunter, and I am addicted to Pizza! Growing up in New York City I was practically raised on it. I kid you not, I can walk out on to the street and if a pizza place is in a two block radius I can easily sniff it out. What I love about pizza (besides it being the greatest tasting thing on earth) is that it is a food that welcomes everyone. The homeless man who doesn't speak a lick of english will enjoy his slice right next to the succesful banker. It is a common ground owned and apreciated by all. And that's my favorite kind of Cuisine: delicious but most anyone can afford it.

Funny you should mention hip hop. Just like hip hop, I was born in 1980 New York City. Hip Hop has told me that its dad was a steak and potato's kind of guy. A funny coincidence because mine is too. So to fall in love with a vegetarian was something I never forsaw. Dana has shown me the joys and health benefits of eating vegetarian, but when it comes down to it, I likes my meat and I likes it rare (well actually medium rare. I wussed out on rare a long time ago)... Well to be honest I am a bigger fan of fish and poultry and did I mention I like cheese, melted gooey delicous cheese. Oh yeah, I like cheese. I like it a lot!

Come join us as we uncover all things tasty and terrible in our neighborhood and beyond!

No comments: