09 February 2007

Dairy-free baked goods (not an oxymoron)

Dana here. I recently underwent an experimental phase whereby I avoided dairy (my coveted dairy!) for 1 month, to see how my body reacted. I'll spare you the details of my sinus issues, but I had reason to believe that dairy was a culprit. It was surprisingly easier than I thought. Especially due to my discovery of Vegan Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip cookies!

Now, you can get these delicious babies two ways:
1. Find Uncle Eddie's brand cookies at your local grocer, or...
2. Go to Trader Joes and get their privately branded version for $1 less.
Same cookies, different prices.

These magnificent morsels come in an unassuming paper sack, and I swear to you - if you didn't know these were vegan, you'd never guess. In fact, I plied some of my best, vegan-fearing friends with them (under the cover of a normal cookie) and only after their eyes lit up and they licked the final crumbs from their hands in delight, did I tell them "that shit was vegan, yo!" No one guessed, everyone was shocked, and I've definitely created some converts in cookieville.

What makes them so good? Well, let me count the ways.
1. They are infinitely better for you. No hydrogenated fats, no refined sugars, no artificial ingredients, high in fiber. But that's really not the point is it?
2. They are the perfect (and I mean perfect) blend of not-too-sweet and hint-o-salty. They are chewy with delicate injections of creamy chocolate chips. They are big enough to feel like you're actually treating yourself, but small enough that it doesn't feel like an overindulgence.

But be warned: Every single time Hunter and I buy these cookies, we finish the whole bag in one day. They are addictive substances. But, really, compared to chips ahoy - this is the way to binge! And even now that I eat dairy (though much less than I used to) these are still my preferred cookie, hands down.

They also come in a regular chocolate chip variety (Hunter's favorite) and a Trail Mix blend (no chocolate here, folks).

Try it. You'll like it! If you don't, you know Trader Joe's will take them back (even after opened and tasted). That's what makes them such a great store. But I'll save that for another posting....

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.